Pages

I've been called a wog all my life - Mangos

John Mangos

John Mangos: The axed Sky News anchor says he deeply regrets his on-air remarks about a Chinese man. Picture: Supplied. Source: Supplied

  • Mangos makes bizarre remarks on air
  • Horrified at suggestions he's racist
  • 'I've been called a wog and a dago'

AXED Sky News anchor John Mangos has hit out at claims he is a racist and insists he still has the full support of the Chinese community despite his controversial on-air remarks earlier this month.

Mangos exclusively told The Sunday Telegraph he deeply regretted the comments in which he referred to a man as being clearly Chinese because he had "squinty eyes" and "yellow skin" - but maintained that he meant no harm.

It is understood Sky News executives were worried the comments would derail its multi-million-dollar bid to win Asia-Pacific rights for the Australia Network.

The ABC has had the contract to run the service, which reaches more than 34 million homes in 44 countries across Asia, the Pacific and India.

Insiders say the sacking may have had more to do with that than any official line, with Australia already seen by Indians as a hotbed of racism.

Mangos and Sky News parted company after 16 years following the bizarre gaffe on June 3. He is horrified at the racism tag after a lifetime of taunts over his Greek heritage.

"I've been called a wog and a dago and a spiv all my life," said Mangos, who was the first Greek Australian to work on commercial television.

"When I was in grade 4 I had salami and skordalia, a garlic spread, on my sandwich. We had (lunch) inside because it was raining and the teacher said, 'Whose lunch pongs?' ... all the kids pointed to me and I got detention! That's what I've grown up with."

While The Sunday Telegraph can reveal an official complaint has been made about Mangos to the Human Rights Commission regarding the remarks, 50 members of the Chinese community gathered at the Golden Century restaurant in Sydney's Chinatown last week to support the veteran newsman.

Mangos said the rally humbled him, and added: "My story is the same as theirs".

Sky News CEO Angelo Frangopoulos said the gaffe and the non-renewal of Mangos's contract was simply "an unfortunate coincidence of timing".

Source: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/i039ve-been-called-a-wog-all-my-life-mangos/story-e6frfmqi-1226082080724?from=public_rss

danielle staub kroger aztec belize

0 comments:

Post a Comment